Knowing personal information about the deceased helps me with the creative process, so please feel free to share a few details with me!
The ash can create a variety of effects: sometimes it appears as sand or looks like bubbles. On occasion the ash will cast a color of its own.
I ask for 1 tablespoon of cremated remains for each piece. Please mail the ashes in one Ziploc bag. Any unused portion will be returned with your finished artwork.
There are a variety of other glass colors to choose from that are not shown on this website. If you do not see exactly what you are looking for, you can call me to see if I have your specific color available. There is no charge to change colors. Please visit the Glass Gallery to see some of your options. If you are thinking adding color to your Sun Catcher, it is important to know that not all of the colors are transparent.
Please note that there are two separate lines of blown glass. Jewelry and Sun Catchers are offered with one line and the other line features Paperweights and Sculpture items. The two lines are not compatible.
With the creation of Jewelry and Sun Catchers, the creative process begins as I sprinkle the cremated remains into a clean metal dish. Using a torch, I start to melt a clear glass rod and when it turns red hot, the glass is as soft as honey. It is at this soft stage that I am able to dip into the ashes and add the colored glass. As they melt in, I am able to twist, pull and form the desired shape. When the design and shape are complete, the glass is placed in a kiln, which allows it to anneal and cool without bursting. The following morning the kiln is opened to reveal the beautiful new artwork!
- Jewelry and Sun Catchers can be customized to include images such as a name, fingerprint, or tattoo. Custom orders are bid per project. Please visit the Customization tab for details.
- The type of glass that is used for the Jewelry and Sun Catcher line is Borosilicate. It is equivalent to Pyrex, which means that it is very durable! If someone does manage to break a piece, I will do my best to repair it for FREE.
Ashes are sprinkled onto a clean steel table (called a marver). If colors are needed for the design, they are scattered onto a separate marver.
With a 4-1/2' long steel pipe, I gather a small amount of clear molten glass from the furnace (referred to as a "honey pot"). From this point, I can add more clear layers or begin rolling through the ashes and colored pieces of glass. Because the glass is so hot and soft, it holds onto pieces that it rolls through. It is very similar to playing with a spoonful of honey, it's just MUCH hotter!
The soft glass gets its shape when it is rolled in wet wood molds called "blocks". Rolling in the wet blocks, the glass begins to cool and a larger furnace, called the "glory hole", is used to reheat the glass on the end of the pipe.
I can twist, pull and poke holes into the soft glass, depending on what style is being made. The final dip into the clear glass will seal it all together. And in the styles where I have poked holes, a tiny bubble is created. This is what creates the flower effect in the "Blossoms" style.
When the piece is finished, it gets placed into an annealing oven to cool overnight. I always feel like it's Christmas morning, when I get to open the oven to see the fabulous artwork!
This is essentially a stained glass process. Panes of glass are cut and shaped. The locks of your loved one will be pressed between two layers that are held together by a copper band and then sealed with solder. Any hair that is not included in your artwork will be returned with your finished project.
For the Angels, the blown glass head piece can be created with or without ashes. Not every jewelry style is offered for order through the website but technically all of the styles are available. So if you're really wanting a style that is not listed, please email or call me.
- As soon as I receive an order, I make a confirmation call or email to the contact listed on the order form. When the completed order has been mailed back to you, I will confirm it with an email or phone call.
- You pay to mail your package and order to me. I will pay to ship the product and the remaining ashes and hair back to you, using the United States Postal Service. Hair keepsakes will be mailed Priority and all orders with ashes will go Priority Express. You can find Shipping Instructions in your CART during checkout.
- My turn-around time is 4 weeks from the time I receive the order. If your order needs to be expedited, please contact me to see if I can work it into my schedule.
- When items are ordered without the notation of a color, they will be created as the style is shown on the website.
- When Jewelry items are ordered without the notation of the cord length, 18" will be the standard length sent.
- I ask for one tablespoon of cremated remains for each piece. Please mail the ashes in one Ziploc bag. Any unused portion will be returned with your finished artwork.
- For hair keepsakes, please enclose a few locks of hair into one Ziploc bag. Any unused portion will be returned with your finished artwork.
- You pay to mail your package and order to me. I will pay to ship the product and remaining ashes and/or hair back to you, using the United States Postal Service. Hair Keepsakes will be mailed Priority and all orders with ashes will go Priority Express.
- Please use a padded envelope or pad the ashes by wrapping a paper towel around them.
- Enclose a copy of the order confirmation that you receive from PayPal during checkout. Please add your email address, phone number and any Special Instructions that you may have. Please let me know how you found out about Red Manx Studio!
- Knowing personal information about the deceased helps me with the creative process, so please feel free to share a few details with me!
Please ship your order to:
Red Manx Studio
2215 Panorama Dr
Greeley, CO 80634
- When I receive your order in the mail, I will make a confirmation call or email to the contact listed on the order form. When your completed order has been shipped, I will send a confirmation email.
- My turn-around time is 4 weeks from the time I receive the order. If your order needs to be expedited, please contact me to see if I can work it into my schedule. If you have any questions, please email Tiffany@RedManxStudio or call me at 970-576-5546.
Thank you so much for your business!